Monday 7 December 2009

Looking for Rachel Whiteread


Dear all,
I'm looking for the address of the studio of the London based artist Rachel Whiteread to complete my work “a dollhouse for Rachel Whiteread”. 


When I was physically confronted with one of her casted stairwells, I was astounded. The work left a lasting impression on me and I wanted to know more about this artist and her work. When I set out to read about her work, I saw resemblances between how we both experience the relation between human beings and space. I began to see Rachel as a mentor guiding me in my own artistic quest. In this manner she gave me insights in my own perception and experience. I have the impression that Rachel has given me a lot through her work and thus I wanted to give something in return.


I read that Rachel collects dollhouses and this triggered my work. As we all know a dollhouse is a relational object in the best known way: an object between a father and his daughter. As such in the back of my mind I started to make my own dollhouse with my childhood home as the blue-print. My dollhouse has no walls: it is in fact an open structure that refers to a house and its rooms. The only room that is defined is the staircase. This is a hint to the starting point of the project (the experience with a Whiteread stairwell).
The sculpture is the first part of this work. The second part consists of actually giving the dollhouse sculpture to Rachel Whiteread herself.


I would like to thank you in advance for any given assistance.


Kind regards,
Jonas Vansteenkiste


grijzeogen@hotmail.com 
http://jonasvansteenkiste.blogspot.com 
cell: 0032 474 822746

No comments:

Post a Comment