Wednesday 9 December 2009

Kristian De La Riva on his work

My images and animations focus on habitual patterns of human behaviour where simplicity belies subtle layers of complexity. In my work I use a minimal black line drawn style which is used to animate the actions of male and female figures. The characters for the work are taken from real footage often of myself, yet all detail, clothing and facial, is stripped away to create generic representations of a man or a woman. Such a reduction in the use of the human form often creates in the work a playful cartoon like edge that sits in contrast to the serious issues addressed.
The foundations for my current practice reside in the 8 year collaborative practice I shared with former partner Emily Russell, which ended in 2008. Together our work centred around the dissemination of the relationship of lovers.
In 'CUT' 2009 a lone male character attempts to cut away various body parts using ever more extreme methods to do so. The ode to relationships is still hinted at alongside an autobiography element but the field of reference is expanded to incorporate the pain and humour of an individuals day to day routine.



Kristian De La Riva is an MA graduate in Fine Art at Central Saint Martins, London. He has been selected for Future Map 2009, which is currently on show until 23 December at 20 Hoxton Square Projects.




I'll show you mine if you show me yours, 2007

2 comments:

  1. This is sweet. I like having friends like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have several of the "Do We Have To Play This Game" prints, they adorn the walls of my home and i have not had a single person enter my house who has not commented on how amazingly powerful they are! I would love to see more work from Miss Russell or Mr De La Riva, what wonderfully talented artists.....FANTASTIC KEEP IT COMING!!!!

    ReplyDelete